Building/Construction Department FAQ's

1. WHAT ARE BUILDING PERMITS REQUIRED FOR? Building permits are required for, but not limited to, the following:

  • New Construction
  • Addition
  • Boiler
  • Water Heater
  • Sump Pump
  • Furnace
  • Air Conditioning
  • Generator
  • Solar Panels
  • Roofing (if sheathing is replaced)
  • Electrical Service Upgrade
  • Swimming Pool
  • Deck/Patio (New Replacement)
  • Duct Work
  • Piping Changes
  • Oil Tank (removal, abandonment, conversion)
  • Alarm System
  • Demolition (house, pool, structure)

2. DOES A PERMIT EXPIRE?  Construction must begin within one year of the permit issue date.

3. HOW MUCH TIME DO I HAVE TO PERFORM THE WORK? Once the work begins, the permit expires if the work is abandoned for a period of more than six months.

4. WHY DO I NEED A CERTIFICATE OF OCCUPANCY? A certificate of Occupancy (CO) is required for all new structures or additions, structures or portion of structures that have undergone a change of use, or structures that the work was so extensive it was determined to be a reconstruction under the Rehabilitaion Sub-code. 

5. MY HOT WATER HEATER BROKE ON A FRIDAY NIGHT, DO I NEED TO WAIT UNTIL MONDAY TO GET A PERMIT BEFORE I HAVE IT REPLACED? No. You are allowed to make emergency repairs and get a permit as soon as possible, but not more than 72 hours later. If an emergency such as this does occur, contact the Building Department and we will put you on an Emergency Work List.

6. Do I need a Permit for a Dumpster, or a POD? 

Yes - A Dumpster Permit for Driveway Dumpster and On-Street Dumpster is required, as well as Permit for a storage POD

7. If I am replacing, moving or installing a new Fence, do I need a Permit? 

Yes - A Zoning Permit is required. 

8. If I want to replace and existing fence, or add one to my property, do I need a permit?  A Zoning application is required. 

9. WHY DO I NEED A ZONING PERMIT? A zoning permit is required by ordinance as a condition precedent to the commencement of a use or the erection, construction, reconstruction, alteration, conversion or installation of a structure or building, which acknowledges such use, structure or building complies with the provision of the municipal zoning ordinances pursuant to the Municipal Land Use Law.

Some examples of when a zoning permit is required all exterior type work, such as additions, decks, sheds, pools, generator, driveway improvements, etc., as well as some interior work such as converting a garage into living space, finishing a basement into living area, alterations to create a mother/daughter area, etc.

10.  Do I need a permit for sidewalk replacement? 

Yes -This requires a Sidewalk/Driveway Permit

11. Do I need a permit for signage?  

Yes - Fill out a " Zoning Permit for Signs" along with all requested supporting documents. Once approved, check with the Building Department to find out if permits are required for the proposed sign. 

12. Do I need approval if I am opening a business in town?  Yes - Fill out a "Zoning Permit for Non- Residential" supplying the requested information. Once approved by the Zoning Officer, You go to the Building Department to apply for a Certificate of Continuous  Occupancy